Saturday, April 19

User Centricity in the Enterprise (Cont.)

I've blogged on this before. But I was oh so young and naive back in December of 07.

OK, I'm not 100% convinced yet, but I'm beginning to see the light. I think part of the problem is that I have an internal tendency to want to understand things in mathematical terms and what I'm finding is that I almost need to think of this issue through an artist's lens. And that's a tough metaphor to make because I know it could be misunderstood - I wasn't trying to make the issue black & white or say that there would never be a case for x, y or z. But as a philosophy, I was thinking that user-centric identity is about individual control which seems at odds with the goals of enterprise security. Just because the technology could be used to enforce control on both sides doesn't mean the philosophy of a user-centric approach works within the enterprise walls. I was able to fit B2B transactions into the equation (like an insurance rep interacting with multiple carriers). But, that again isn't really contained within the walls of an enterprise. I was trying to build a chart of some kind in my mind to map out the scenarios.

But then I had a few good discussions with folks like Kaliya Hamlin, Dale Olds, Michael Barrett of PayPal, Andrew Jaquith of Yankee Group, and others. And then I read this (thanks Pamela) and this (thanks Dale) and I watched the video from Brainshare that Dale linked to.

I'm not quite ready to start professing the faith of user-centric in the enterprise and I certainly haven't mapped it out in my head, but I'm beginning to recognize that I'm on the dark side of this and that Kim Cameron, Kaliya, Dale and Pamela are in the light.

No comments: